-->

Mindless

I am a computer programmer by day and philosopher by night. I post once or twice a week. I aim to prevent blogging from taking to much time, while allowing time to develop each idea before posting it. Each has some reference to human, universal, or societal truths, while presented in an organized, understandable & consise way -- this is the plan anyway. Results may very as what rings true for one may seem false to another. Also becuase sometimes I get things wrong.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Favorite Software (available for Free)

This is some of the software that I use on my own PC. I figured I'd throw it out there for people who might be into trying new things.


Get Firefox!
Great Web Browser with many features missing in Internet Explorer.


Get Thunderbird

Good email software from the Mozilla foundation, makers of Firefox.


OpenOffice.org

Office productivity suite includes word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software.


BitTorrent

File Sharing software. Allows you to download file shared by other users.


Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a Linux Operating System

2 Comments:

At Fri Nov 04, 10:52:00 PM EST, Blogger Bar L. said...

so....do you really like Firefox? I have been having problems with my Internet connection lately....do you think Firefox is better than IE?????

And the last thing on this list - what does that do exactly? I love trying new software.

 
At Sat Nov 05, 08:34:00 AM EST, Blogger James Gray said...

Do I really like firefox? Yup I do! There are somethings I am still getting used to, but mostly I really like it. Tabbed browsing makes a huge difference for me.
I like firefox better in general. It has several things I like better then IE:
1. Tabbed browsing rocks - basicly you can open multiple webpages in a single window and control-tab between them. This keeps things uncluttered in the task bar.
2. More convient downlaods - there is only one download window which tracks all of your downloads. This is great if you start downloading more thenn one file at a time.
3. I have had less trouble with firefox then I had with IE.

Linux (More correctly called GNU/Linux) is an operating system like Windows is. You could run Linux on your computer instead of Windows. I have Linux on one of my old computers, but I keep Windows on the computer I use from day to day. You'll probably want to get used to the other software on the list before you try Linux. Ubuntu is a type of Linux (I trying not to get to technical here).

Basicly the other software on the list all have the advanatage that they have versions for Linux & Windows. So that when I switch from Windows to Linux and back I can continue to use the same software. I can also transfer my settings when I am more comfortable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home