-->

Mindless

I am a computer programmer by day and philosopher by night. I post once or twice a week. I aim to prevent blogging from taking to much time, while allowing time to develop each idea before posting it. Each has some reference to human, universal, or societal truths, while presented in an organized, understandable & consise way -- this is the plan anyway. Results may very as what rings true for one may seem false to another. Also becuase sometimes I get things wrong.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

How To Stay Young

I got this as an email from a friend. I don't like to send chain like email, but I thought this was worth sharing here.

1. Throw out nonessential numbers. This includes age, weight and height. Let the doctor worry about them. That is why you pay him/her.

2. Keep only cheerful friends. The grouches pull you down.

3. Keep learning. Learn more about the computer, crafts, gardening, whatever. Never let the brain idle. " An idle mind is the devil's workshop." And the devil's name is Alzheimer's.

4. Enjoy the simple things.

5. Laugh often, long and loud. Laugh until you gasp for breath.

6. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

7. Surround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plants, hobbies, whatever. Your home is your refuge.

8. Cherish your health: If it is good, preserve it. If it is unstable, improve it. If it is beyond what you can improve, get help.

9. Don't take guilt trips. Take a trip to the mall, to the next county, to a foreign country, but NOT to where the guilt is.

10. Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

AND ALWAYS REMEMBER:

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

3 Comments:

At Sun Dec 04, 10:28:00 PM EST, Blogger Bar L. said...

This was really good, James. I am glad you passed it on.

 
At Thu Dec 15, 12:18:00 AM EST, Blogger Bar L. said...

how are you?

 
At Sun Dec 18, 02:14:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi james! sorry to have taken so long replying to your comment on my blog - it was so nice to get a comment - my 1st one! hope all is well with you. thanks so much for the links to all the free software - i'm loving firefox and thunderbird and it feels so much nicer using community-type stuff that isn't microsoft. i've got a bit of a battle going on in my being between my newborn novice bodhsattva and my obsessive teccie-head self. i think that latter is winning somewhat at present. i wanted to ask you abou the ubuntu operating system if you don't mind. i've been trying to install windows xp (dodgy versions) with little success for the past week and am getting sick of it, and don't have £100 to spend on a new version. so i'm quite interested in trying out a non-ms OS. the only thing is the main reason i wanted to upgrade to xp was so i could share photos from my phone and couldn't do this with my old windows 98. so i'm wondering whether ubuntu is likely to be compatible with my phone's software. also, from looking at their website it looks like it comes complete with tons of software which my tiny 8G hard drive might struggle with. any ideas? hope you don't mind me bombarding you with my obsessive tech-needs... i sincerely hope once i've got a permanent OS that i can regain some boundaries and get back to using my computer to share my inspirations and openness to the world rather than it getting right in the way. best wishes to you - xx Jo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home